Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Columbus Zoo

Sean and I took the July 4th weekend and drove to Columbus to visit Sean's relatives. The one exotic thing to do in Columbus is go to the Zoo! And so we did.

The Columbus Zoo claims to be number 1 in the country. I think not. Sorry Columbus. But San Diego, The National Zoo in Washington, The Bronx Zoo and maybe even the Philadelphia Zoo have you beat. Anyhow, Columbus is a damn nice zoo. Here are my photos, and another post will include Sean's photos.

The centerpiece of the zoo is a carousel that was built in 1914. It has 52 hand carved wooden horses and one chariot. Here are two horses that caught my eye.



Without further ado, the animals:

A white-naped crane

Didn't someone say let sleeping tigers lie?

A sun bear plays with his food.

A 24 foot (7.3 meter) long reticulated python.

A palas cat takes a bath.

A zebra shark in the big aquarium.

A large Pacific blue tang.

An orange shoulder tang zips on by.



Holly the manatee.

These Humbolt penguins were very shy and that may have been because they were molting or because they had just had chicks in February. Compare them to the ones I photographed cavorting in their pool in Barcelona.


A Temminick's pheasant in the Pheasant's enclosure.

This Himalayan Impeyan Pheasant is shy and doesn't want to show off his colors.

While the golden pheasant struts his stuff all around the enclosure.

It was day, so the flying foxes are sleeping.

But this little fellow opened his eyes to check us out.

The obligatory flamingos shot. These were all the zoo had and they were cramped in a tiny pond.

The zoo also had a red panda and lions, but they were too far away for me to get photos, so Sean took pictures with his zoom. The zoo also had large primates, but I don't like seeing those.

Basically, I was not impressed, but then again, our visit time was limited. We didn't get to see the polar bears and I had forgotten about them by the time we left! But I love to look at animals at a zoo, large or small. So, I had fun and took photos.

Footnote: I also thought about visiting my very good blogger friend Doug, of Unnatural Devotions. But 2 hours out of the way is forever when you are only in Ohio for the weekend and have already driven 14 hours to get there, sorry Doug! But I was thinking about you! I sure hope that counts!

12 comments:

Stan said...

I remember the Columbus zoo and not being too impressed either. When I lived out there I remember driving to the Cleveland, Toledo and Cincinnati's museums of art a few times when they had some interesting collections on exhibit. Those cities in Ohio were always more industrial and ethnic with wealthy families that built up and patronized the arts. Columbus in more of a University town although it's the Capital of the State.

Y said...

Columbus animals look a bit shy:)But gorgeous,esp the palas cat.Ya know me since I`m a cat lover I couldn`t help but mentioning it:-)

Sue said...

Toni - I actually wanted the palas cat. They are house cat sized, but a bit larger. They looked like they would give the coyotes around here a run for their money. LOL! Think how they must shed!!!

Thanks for commenting Stan!

Pick said...

Sue, have you ever visited the Toronto Zoo? As much as I don't like zoos on a certain level, they've done a pretty good job there. You've inspired me and I might just post some of my pix from my last visit there one of these days.

I'm thinkin' that python looks like he needs a Tempur-pedic bed and a king sized one at that. I guess Tempur-pedic wouldn't make a lot of sense for a cold blooded critter though. ;o{)

The palas cat is adorable!

I'm nuts over original carousel horses and those are beauties.

Looks like you had a pretty good day in spite of the zoo not living up to their boast.

Glad you guys are home safe and sound. Always worry when people are on the road.

Sue said...

Sean says that I have visited the Toronto Zoo, but I don't remember it. That could be because of my brain thing that I don't recall being there. But, in any event, that zoo is not in the US. You are correct that it was fun being there even though they are not #1. Glad you like the carousel horses. Many people do and wooden ones are rare. I used to ride on one in NYC when I was a kid. I think it is still there.

Doug said...

Don't worry about it, Sue. This past weekend would not have been a good time for a visit, anyway. Love the photos!

Sue said...

Thanks Doug!

Cristiano Mancini said...

Love the photos , but feeel bad for the poor bored animals...

Sue said...

Yes Cristiano - that is why I won't go see the primates. They are a bit too smart to be caged. But even the, so to speak, lower animals exhibit caged animal behaviors, such as patterned pacing, and those are upsetting to see. But one needs to understand the higher purpose of Zoos, which is to expose the public to exotic species of animals that are endangered so that the public will appreciate and support efforts to save these animals. But zoos, can and should attempt to assuage the suffering of the animals by providing them living spaces that are more like their native environments. Zoos are making progress in this area.

mr tickle said...

Dear Sue, thank you for saying hi at my blog. I'm doing fine, hope you're well too. Good luck!

Unknown said...

The columbus zoo doesn't even beat Cleveland, frankly. We went to CZ this weekand and filmed the funniest thing on my iPhone at the columbus ohio zoo: http://tinyurl.com/columbuszoo

Unknown said...

ooo...I love pandas.
Here I bought a cuddly panda bag (L) that I can hardly put it down!
I believe it is a GREAT find for every panda fanatic!
hkpanda.freetzi.com
Flor (floreshayes@gmail.com)