Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Koi in Holland Market, Singapore


Here is yet another work that I completed yesterday. If you click to enlarge it, you will see that it took eleven years to finish this work. Much transpired in those years!!! Below it is the photo that it is based upon. We also use a version of the photo for printing our bank checks.

Unfortunately, the camera was not kind to this watercolor painting. The background is a lovely light blue and the fish a delicate yellow. Perhaps you can see that I finally figured out how to use my new brushes in the fin work on the 3 fish left upper center of the painting and the red and white one towards the bottom.

I feel that this work is graphically strong and very pretty even though there are some mistakes in it.

15 comments:

Y said...

11 years?That makes it so valuable!
Love this too.

Doug said...

Lovely paintings, both of them, Sue. I'm so glad you're painting again! I have yet to find a way to photograph paintings that reproduces the original accurately.

Sue said...

Thanks guys! I am very happy too! :)

about a boy said...

its beautiful sue! now i want 1 for my very own!

Stan said...

it looks great!

David Mason said...

Really nice job, its catches the feeling nicely.

Herodotus said...

Brava! Sue!
Water color is a tough medium to control; one can hide nothing and yet you have done a terrific job!!!
Art AND Science! You are a Renaissance Woman!!!!!

YvesPaul said...

Wonderful. I'm glad that you're painting again and they are so beautiful. For our benefits, play with your camera some more. I guess it's hard to capture the exact color on camera. Can't wait to see more.

Sue said...

Thanks everybody!

Herodotus - I wanted to major in art in college, but my Mom insisted that I major in science and keep art as a hobby. Now that I am unblocked I can pursue art full-time to my heart's desire. Yay!!!

Herodotus said...

Sue,
there is a look to your work that reminds me a bit of the water colors of Charles Demuth. You might find these of interest. he did a series based on the gay baths of NYC in the
'20s.

Sue said...

That is quite a compliment coming from you Herodotus! After a quick internet search I can say that I am no where near that accomplished yet, but I will keep striving. I will try to find his works on the gay baths. I really like his paintings of flowers, fruits and his iconography if the number 5.

Anonymous said...

Sue
This painting has a wonderful sense of motion and colour. I am so glad
to hear you are again taking up the brushes and putting them to canvas.

I would be proud to have your art
on my wall and that is meant as
a compliment (not asking for one)

Jim

Sue said...

Thanks Jim! It really means a lot to me coming from you!

Cristiano Mancini said...

I feel that my "rooster" has already earned market value !Amazing job ..keep on Sue

Sue said...

It sure has Cristiano! And it will continue to! Thanks!!!