Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cattle Statues, Sri Mariamman Temple, Singapore


This is a watercolor painting that I just completed this morning. Chiaroscuro in style, it is of the two cattle statues that detail the cornerstone of the Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple at the corner of South Bridge and Pagoda Streets in Singapore. I took a picture of the Temple when I was there in 1997 on business, and decided that the cattle would make for a great watercolor painting. So, I searched the web and found the photo below in a flickr album.



One never sees architechtural details like this in the United States! I am blessed that I had the opportunity to travel to Singapore and see this and thus make this painting. I will continue to make paintings from my travel to Singapore.

7 comments:

Y said...

Very beautiful,Sue!!
I see you are very inspired by the culture in Singapore.Which is great.

Sue said...

Thanks Toni! I seem to adore any culture; maybe it is because we have none here in the US. :)

Y said...

No Sue,I think there`s a great culture in the US,maybe not 1000 of years old but still great and it`s easier for me to see it "from aside" just like you look at the other cultures.

Doug said...

Gorgeous, Sue!

Sue said...

Thanks Doug!!!

Herodotus said...

Sue,
this pair reminds me of a couple of dowagers disdainfully surveying the passing scene. Well done!

Sue said...

Thanks Herodotus!