Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mon Voyage À L'Acadie: Part 2: Campbellton, New Brunswick

On our second day of driving, we reached Campbellton, New Brunswick, my mom's birthplace. This small town is built along the Restigouche River where rich people come to fish for Atlantic salmon as signified by this statue. Our goal, was to eat as much of the fresh fish as we could while in the area. We had already had had two 1.25 lb lobsters each in Maine, and as they had just shed their shells, they were tender, yielding and tasty! Sigh.


Lest we forget, we had come to see our relatives though. So, we did and on our first night there, surrounded by fourteen of our beautiful cousins, we were served fresh grilled red river trout and Atlantic salmon! It was wonderfully prepared and excellent!


This is Alys_in_Underland, one of my younger cousins. She is a really sweet woman and I am glad to have met her.


And this is her back tattoo:


She has 26 hours into this work and 12 hours to go. Her goal is to have 90% of her body tattooed. Her inspiration was that in life, things are not always what they seem. Boy is that ever true! I sure hope I get to see her again - maybe in NYC.

I walked quite a bit in Campbellton and this is down the waterfront looking out onto the wharf. On the left is Quebec, and on the right is New Brunswick.


Here is a closeup of a lamp. Note the art deco design.


Here is looking back at Campbellton. If you enlarge the photo, you can see the church with a statue of the Madonna on top.


I continued to scan the town with my camera and took this photo in which you can see Sugar Loaf Mountain, the local ski area. The large building at right is the new sports center with hockey rink.


Then I took photos across the river towards Quebec. As you can see, there is not much over there but it is very pretty.


This is the J.C. Van Horne Bridge which crosses over to Pointe-à-la-Croix, Quebec where the Mi’kmaq First Nations people live. We were to go there tomorrow as the next step on our journey to explore the Gaspé Penninsula all the way to Percé Rock.


I hope that you can see our planned route on the map below:



So, stay tuned!

5 comments:

Stan said...

Your cousins ink is awesome! She must be an interesting person to get to know and talk to.

Y said...

I`m with Stan.:)
Love the photos also!Campbellton looks like a very nice place.

Sue said...

Yes she is a very interesting person. It is too bad she lives so far away.

Toni - Campbellton and other places up there were gorgeous, and I would move up there in a flash, were it not for the long, severe winters and the volume of heavy snow they get. But, you will see what I mean.

Cristiano Mancini said...

I'm already in love with your cousin and her life philosophy !The new images are very touching and tactile...great job catching the emotions of a sight!

Pick said...

I too love your cousin already. You'll have to promise to post the finished work ... she sounds like she's had some "life" happen to her and I bet she's dealt with whatever very well by the sounds of her.

I don't know the Campbellton area of NB at all though I have driven along the St. Lawrence many many times on the way to Ontario. I've seen it in all seasons and in it's many moods. Always stunningly beautiful but at the same time austere.

I don't know what it is about Canada and huge mock-ups of animals etc. Not far from where I live is a huge Wooly Mammoth that looks like it's about to take a dump on the Trans Canada highway. In Wawa Ontario there's a huge goose, at a truck stop somewhere west of Thunder Bay there's a HUGE mosquito -those are just a few off the top of my head and it's been a long day so I'm somewhat addled. If I had my brain with me right now, I could probably list 20 tacky "statues"!

This salmon actually looks pretty decent comparatively speaking.