Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Movie Review: His Secret Life (Fate Ignorante)

Antonia, played by Margherita Buy, is an AIDS doctor whose husband is killed in a car accident. She is quite morose, until she discovers a painting with an inscription on the back that leads her to think that he was having an affair. She then begins to seek his lover. The painting leads her to an apartment filled with homosexuals and transgenders. But she continues to assume that her husband was having an affair with a woman. I found this part of the movie to be not really plausible. Anyone who works in the AIDS field would know that people go through times when they have sex with both men and women.

Anyhow, that aside, she has to be told, by her husband’s lover, Michele, played by Stefano Accorsi, to wake up and smell the coffee. She finally gets the point and runs away stunned. (I guess I would be too if I found that my husband was cheating on me with a man.) My other criticism of the movie is that Ernesto, played by the ever gorgeous Gabriel Garko, is in the back room suffering with AIDS and with Kaposi’s lesions. That was completely melodramatic and gratuitous as far as the plot went.

However, all in all, the movie was an interesting study of the family aspect of Michele’s world and how the players fit into it. The loss of Antonia's husband, and the addition of Antonia is examined in the movie. Also, there is a ton of eye candy. I recommend the movie and give it

**** of five stars.

NB: Cristiano is in this film. I think I spotted him in the party scene wearing a crown and greeting arrivals. Was that you Cristiano?

6 comments:

about a boy said...

i might have to check it out.

Doug said...

I've almost checked this movie out a couple of times. I put it on my list of things to see when I found out that Cristiano is in it, and when I found out how gorgeous Gabriel Garko is. There's a movie I saw years ago with a similar theme starring Javier Bardem (though it's from the man's POV I think), but I don't remember the title; it was really good, though a bit melodramatic (I guess you can't help being melodramatic with this kind of material). If I remember the title I'll tell you.

Y said...

The title didn`t speak anything to me but when I saw your review I remembered I`ve watched that movie.
A very good movie.And typical European I would say.
Thanks,Sue.

Anonymous said...

Sue, my big scene is in front of a computer with a gorgeous italian actor Luca Calvani and a girl Rosaria , and we are crusing the internet to pick up boys..I'm wearing a bright orange tshirt. I'm in several scenes. It was a great experience. I should post my behind the scene pics when I was "raping" Gabriel Garko in the scene hospital . He was so hot even in his dead bed !

Sue said...

Oh, I remember you in that! I just never would have thought that you had such a big part in the movie. You should definitely post your off screen pics on your myspace.

SYNRGY said...

What an amazing film... I'll have to watch it again to see Cristiano...